Finding Your API Key
- Login to ConvertKit and click “Account” at the top of the page.
- Under “Account Settings” you’ll find a field for “API Secret”. Don’t copy the “key” – that’s not what we want!
- Click “Show” to reveal the secret.
- Paste the secret into the Easy Content Upgrades settings.
Requirements for getting started
Before you start making content upgrades, you need two things to get started:
- At least one tag created in ConvertKit.
- At least one form created in ConvertKit.
I know it seems silly to need to create a form since we’ll be using the appearance of our own forms, but ConvertKit requires it. From a coding perspective, we just have to pretend that all opt-ins are going via a ConvertKit form.
CREATING A TAG
To create a tag in ConvertKit, go to “Subscribers” at the top of the page and look for “Tags” in the sidebar. Click the link to “Create a Tag”.
CREATING A FORM
The appearance of your form in ConvertKit doesn’t matter, since we won’t actually be displaying your form. We just need to tell ConvertKit via code which form subscribers should be added to. It’s weird, I know, but it’s something required on their end.
To create a form, login to ConvertKit and click “Forms” at the top, then “Create Form”. You can create any form style you want – the appearance won’t actually be used. You can choose to use the same form for all content upgrades if you want.
Make sure double opt-in is turned OFF. This is because Easy Content Upgrades will handle it for you! 🙂